Welcome to the blog. I am Zach. I'll be your host.

I am a youth pastor, sinner-saint, redeemed loser, husband, son, father, basketball fan, avid reader, gen-Xer, blogger, guitar player, movie lover, child-of-the-grunge-era, armchair theologian, and all around goofy guy.

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Hey wimp!

I have been reading Paul's letters quite a bit lately. At first it was for prepping a Bible study but then I left my personal study of Luke to jump into what Paul is saying. Let me just say I have a huge issue. I have heard a lot of messages that water down Paul's message. It seems to me that Paul has really high standards for Christians. Yet I have heard many messages and read many books that make excuses for Paul's standards. "We are sinners and can't help it," seems to be the mentality. Paul doesn't by it. He calls the people out on the carpet over and over and over. Did they sin? Of course! But Paul did not excuse it. He said it's time to change. Paul sets high standards for getting along, marriage, lawsuits, food, worship, the Lord's supper, love, spiritual gifts, forgiveness, and generosity to name a few. I have to believe that these things are applicable to me as a follower of Christ. We need a detox from the 'Christian wimp' mentality. We have set low standards but that must change. Will we sin? Of course! But we do not have to be stuck there.

1 Corinthians 1:8-9 'He will keep you strong to the end, so that you will be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. God, who has called you into fellowship with his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, is faithful.'

We have been saved by grace. We have been given this gift. How will we respond? In weakness or in the strength that comes from Christ himself?

No comments:

Myspace